Monday 17 July 2023

My Garden

It's July

The garden is thriving, in spite of all the rain we have gotten. No, I'm not complaining, in fairness, the garden needed the rain after the dry and hot weather we had. Not complaining about the heat either.
These are the cracks in the ground, which now slowly disappearing with all this rain we are getting. 
Fruit, veg, herbs are ripening, harvested and frozen to be used later. 
Flowers are gorgeous in places, the rain kind of bent and battered them a bit, but they'll be fine. Warm weather coming, the weather man said. I live in hope!
Things looking awesome in the greenhouses too, aubergines to be harvested, chilies, cucumbers, melons getting fatter by the minute and tomatoes are blushing like mad.
Stuff in the raised beds are getting ready to be harvested, the beans and peas and brassicas, garlic needs to be lifted and big beetroots among many other things. 
I'm grateful for everything that grows in my garden, because that means I can cook yummy dishes for my family. Lately I made summer veg curry with chicken, pasta bolognese, and yesterday I whipped up a delicious ratatouille.
Today had to feed my tomatoes, chilis, aubergines and cucumbers with my own home made comfrey feed. I kid you not, it smells horrible, but my plants in the greenhouse love it. I feed them every fortnight.
Also harvested my elephant and purple skinned winter garlic. I mean 3 cloves can make a big head like my fist if not bigger. I also have a grape wine in the greenhouse, I'm hoping to have some grapes on it next year.
I went out this morning to open my greenhouses, like I always do every morning, and I saw a few veg that needed to be picked. Just enough for the tea....
As July slowly comes to an end my garden still produces goodies that I just love harvesting and preparing nourishing delights with them for my family. 
I juiced the beetroot with apples and carrots and we drink that every day. It's amazing how healthy and good it is. With the kohlrabi I made a soup with meatballs, also very yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Garden - August 2024

Dear Gentle Reader,  August started with an overcast day, with the promise of few scattered showers and temps between 10C-20C. I can live wi...