Sunday 1 October 2023

My Garden

October

The first day of this month started well, was sunny and warm. Autumnal colours can be already noticed here and there, and not only that but temps are dropping, nights are getting chilling. Days are getting shorter and there is not much to do in the garden. However the autumn cropping raspberries are pouring their fruit, still beetroot needs to be harvested. Lettuce needs to be sown in the greenhouse and seedlings planted. Also time for cuttings to be taken and planted. Onion and garlic sets need to be planted later this month.
After a couple of days of hot weather (20C-23C), today is cooler a bit and the sky is covered in clouds like a veil. However the sun desperately tries to peek through and melt the clouds. 
I also harvested the last of my tomatoes, the green ones will ripen inside in a bowl lined with newspaper. Breakfast with freshly picked raspberries never looked better πŸ˜œπŸ˜πŸ˜‹. Yummmmm😁🀀 These are the Autumn cropping raspberries, which are 2 timers, meaning they'll crop during summer and autumn too. The seedlings (cauliflowers, spinach, kale, broccoli etc) in my greenhouse is looking good, time to pot them on.

14th of October 

Since I've written last was a mixture of weather with sunny spells, fog, rain and dry spells. And it's still warmish, but the evenings, nights and early mornings are getting colder and colder. The weather man said with possible frosty patches. Eeeeeekkkkk.....
I hope this lovely creature called Red Admiral is able to hide and maybe with a little luck survive cold and frost during winter. It was chilly weather with a bit of wind, when I took that picture, and the cheeky thing opened its wings for a split second enough for me to see the specifics, then fluttered away. Oh well, see you next year in the spring Admiral. Best of luck. :) 
Took in these 3 beauties from the big greenhouse, somehow the cucs, chilies and aubergines are very reluctant to give up fight and still keep going cropping. Kudos to them and happiness and yummieness to me πŸ˜‚πŸ˜œπŸ˜‹πŸ€€

15th of October

This morning I woke up to find that Jack Frost has been visiting my garden. He didn't bite too hard, this time, just nipped a bit leaving behind frozen magic. 
Some plants show signs of being nipped by the frost, some stay proud and face the elements. Made me giggle every time I look at them. 
I spite of this light frost chilies, aubergines, cucumbers are still keep cropping. Everything outside feels the change in the air, and desperately are looking for shelter, including this little, juvenile shieldbug, that looks for shelter in the folds of the sunflower head. 

25th of October 

Today was another warmish day, my Autumn raspberries, both yellow and red, are still cropping juicy, sweetish berries, which are a nice welcome to my snack or breakfast. Sprinkled with a little Stevia to add more sweetness to it, it's a real treat. A handful each morning is not such a bad way to start the day. There are some flowers still blooming, refusing to give in, clinging to every ray of sun and warmth. But as October slowly closes in, giving room to November they might not have much time to delight me with their beauty. 

27th of October

This morning was really like a late Autumn, beginning of Winter should be with thick, chilling fog. I had to walk today to work, so on my way I took a few pics. 

30th of October 

Today started nice and warmish as the sun came out pushing the chilling weather of the night away. 
If there's nothing else that would get mentioned  as showcasing the autumnal colours, acers would. Look at those colours, isn't that just fab? While the sun was shining, I could go out and do a bit of tidying up in the big greenhouse. Inside the greenhouse was nice and warm. Last of the cucs and one aubergine is the very last crop of the season. They are still blooming just like the chillies, I gave them a little trim and maybe, just maybe if the winter will be mild enough they'll crop again. 















No comments:

Post a Comment

My Garden - June 2024

And just like that with marking June, half of this  year has almost  already passed. It's just crazy how this first half of ...