Wednesday 10 April 2024

Nature in My Garden - April 2024

Well knock me down with a feather.... I've just found out that in one of my wildlife ponds I have damselfly larvae... Now starts the waiting game because these beauties will take 3 years to transform into a damselfly. I'll be watching my pond now like a hawk, and with a little luck I'll be able to witness the hatching. 
These are 2 of the many in my tank.... I had a hunch when I saw they might be either dragonfly or damselfly larvae...so after asking the experts in one of the fb groups I'm member of.... I've found out what they were. Yayyyyyyyyy........😁🥳
Bugs, butterflies, polinators are all out today to enjoy the sun and with that a bit of....love. L'Amour leaf cutter bee style. Comma, Holy Blue, Tortoiseshell and a gorgeous Peacock butterfly were kind enough to pose for me under the supervision of Mr Robin. 
As I was exploring my garden further, I've found a childhood favourite....the Click Beetle. I use to torment as a child these poor creatures with my cousins to see which beetle jumps higher. A healthy nettle patch is growing as a nursery for the caterpillars of some of the butterflies I mentioned above. I also found wasp Queens and hover flies on the ivy basking in the sun. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Miscellaneous (travels, outings, trips, interesting facts) May 2024

Yesterday (11th of May) I went on a trip to Glendalough, Co Wicklow with my local photoclub. These 2 lakes are part of the Wicklow National ...