Sunday 12 May 2024

Miscellaneous (travels, outings, trips, interesting facts) May 2024

Dear Gentle Reader, 

Yesterday (11th of May) I went on a trip to Glendalough, Co Wicklow with my local photoclub. These 2 lakes are part of the Wicklow National Nature Reserve. Was an early start (get up at 7 am, bus leaving at 8 am) Absolutely fabulous day, hot, sunny, light cooling breeze, breath-taking views. I honestly didn't want to come home. It was an amazing day. The photo club is not a huge group, but the craic is mighty, the fun and banter compensates the numbers. Thanks to a well established management every outing is a success.
The bus dropped us at the upper lake (I must say it was a very comfortable bus, which is always a bonus) and from there the group had to make their way to the lower lake where the pick up point was. It was a long walk but everyone made it in our own pace, no rush, no hurry, with plenty of photo opportunities on the way. (I knew I was going to pay for it the next day, but that is OK, no pain, no game, every muscle pain worth it.) 
This walk between the 2 lakes is called the Bird Watching Walk (I think). It covers the distance between the 2 lakes, dividing it into a short and a long walk. We got the long walk. But before that something exciting was waiting for the group. 
As an amateur photographer, one always has a few gadgets in one's bag and a few tricks of the trade, or to learn something new from the more experienced members. They are a real fountain of knowledge, which I'm grateful for. Lens balls, black and white shots, debth of field, macro are just a few of these tricks and gadgets. A new lens with a built in macro, which I got from my dad. He loves his photography too (inherited the bug from him). 
As we were looking around, trying to find photo opportunities these 3 young teenage stags ran into the small clearing surrounded by the forest and peacefully started grazing. I was like "WOW, this is not happening!!!! “ (although I saw a few from the bus and one of the members told me I might see a few more around, I was like YESSSS, that's what I want). Anyways I dropped my bag, changed lenses and as slowly as I could got closer and closer and even closer. 
They were chasing each other, headbutting, testing eachother's strength just like more dominant stags would do during rutting season in the autumn. Usually young stags gather in groups called bachelor groups and they'll challenge the dominant stag, even try to steal his does. If the dominant stag is powerful and strong enough, they won't have a chance. Best of luck to these young Princes in the autumn. 
As we toddled along soaking in the view, and the sun, taking a few snaps here and there, we came across to this old graveyard and Lord behold, oh dear, there were more deer. This time a tad tamer, they even let themselves to be petted by the tourists around there. Even I've managed to pet one while he graciously took the offered dandelions from my hand. I was so delighted. Ive forgotten to take pics, so if someone managed to take a pic of me feeding the deer, please share. Thanks. And THAT was the highlight of the day for me. I loved every second of it. The little bond I shared with that lovely youngling was just magical. I shall never forget that moment ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
And pretty much that concluded our journey as we reached the lower lake where we had our well deserved icecream and rest. After that we had food and dessert in Enniskerry, which went down like a treat. Yummmm it was :) 
Mushroom and chicken pie (which was absolutely scrumptious) and side salad, crowned with a big slice of coffee cake and more coffee. 
An absolute fabulous day, thank you everyone :) 

Sincerely yours
Annamaria 









No comments:

Post a Comment

My Garden - August 2024

Dear Gentle Reader,  August started with an overcast day, with the promise of few scattered showers and temps between 10C-20C. I can live wi...